Sunday, April 15, 2012

Special Affairs Team TEN Ending

SPOILER AHEAD!

Leave this page if you are watching and want to keep the ending a surprise!

You really, really should.



Leave now if you like Crime solving shows so you should start this series!









Ok if you have finished the show, and want to muse about the ending with me, then carry on please.



I watched Ep 7,8 and 9 all in one day.... which was not a very good move, because by the end of it, I was empty and emotionally drained when it was all gone. This show sucked me into their world, and the ending spat me right out with a very BIG HUUUURR?? I was like the OST going WAEEEEE.....?!!
I had to rewatch that last 10 min like 3 times and stare hard at the subs to make sense of things.

Episode 8 did a great job, showing us a web of very intricately linked back-stories of all the 3 team members, as well as starting to reveal how Ji Hoon 'killed' his woman. I thought it was strange to do it so near the last episode, but I suppose it was more for linking everyone together in a fascinating way.
Do Sik gets points for drawing on my heart strings with his little arc.

To be fair, Ji Hoon didn't kill her, but got her killed. He was too cocky and thought he could outsmart the mysterious serial killer F, but F got to his girlfriend and killed her in such a horrible way, I was right there losing my breath with her. SICK. Totally sick. I was filled with a dread I didn't feel when I watched most CSI episodes, which mostly glosses over death. This show shows death in a brutal real way which makes alot of food for thought.

The way Joo Sang Wook played the scene which he lost control after realising that the woman lying there was the woman he loved, was absolutely awesome. That was the best scene I have seen him in.
The way he treated crime solving like a 'game', relaxed fun, then to unease, to horror and anguish.
I was grossed out and also fascinated by how the actresses pulled it off, not being able to breathe...
Really amazing and dedicated people here. I think it is traumatizng and possibly consequently have nightmares for doing those scenes.

Episode 9 had me so worried the ending would suck. Because I was looking at the timeline constantly, thinking, ok NOW they have to have some clue for it to have proper closure right? Surely we have to catch the bad guy like all the episodes before right? At the halfway mark, at the 15min mark before it all ends... and yet... The show did manage to conclude in a way which at first made me very confused, but I did enjoy thinking very hard for the ending, to interpret it in my own way. Ok so I googled for an official explanation, or from other people, but since I found zilch I am going with my own version. hehehe

Second wind
I was so excited when the team deciphered the clues he left behind for them.
The way Yeo Ji Hoon anticipated how the clues will play out to which team member shows how brilliant he is, and how well he knows them as their team leader.

I kept waiting for the moment Ji Hoon rejoins his team, and they go catch the bad guy together like always.

But noOOoooo, they strung me out and gave me no JSW, except in flash backs. I should have known better to expect a normal straightforward ending from this twisted show ( in a good twisty way).
I kept wondering why that is later, perhaps it is because JSW had to leave and go across the Geojedo ocean hehe ( He jumped right into Feast of Gods, this guy, so hardworking! )

We cut between shots of Nam Ye-ri going to the factory, with no drawn gun =,=,  to a disturbingly named segment called Death and the maiden. We see Ji Hoon sitting in the dark hall? Of his memories? Because though I don't remember his gf's features that well, the girl playing the violin the camera keeps going back to seems to be her.

He voice overs ( I am at the mercy of the chinese subs I found)
"As I see the dead bodies at each crime scene, I start to think about the problem with memory.
The memory that stops with death.
How did the person live, who the person loved.
Who murdered this person? Who dared to commit this act?
The act that should not ever be done, even if it was God.
But the person who died, will not remember anything more.
Will never know how beautiful one was.
If time could be reversed, I am willing to do anything.
But since one cannot go back in time, one has to do whatever one can.

In order to see you once more, no matter what, even if I have to sell my soul,
I will still do it.
Only when I see you once more, I can kill you with my own hands."
I am thinking the you here is F.

We see someone strike the still unarmed Ye ri ( =,= ), There is this weird camera reverse of F? taping her face as she screams and proceeds to tape her again. Seriously, this girl needs to learn how to walk around with a drawn gun when walking alone into unfamiliar territory. ( Oh and I had a DUH moment because I mixed up Ye Ri with Jung In from Vampire Prosecutor Ep 3. lol I was thinking, why did she get herself in the same situation as Ep... and when I couldn't find it, I remembered it wasn't her LOL But they both have big eyes, short hair, so you really can't blame me... )


Then we see Baek Do Sik sighing into the evening air "Yeo Ji Hoon, must you really do that?"

Elsewhere, Park Min Ho thinks to himself  " Why did it become like this? Why did we stop there? At that moment, why did I see my dad's face in team leader's face? The face of one who, locked himself in hell. "

Nam Ye ri stands in the still covered furniture of Ji Hoon's home, holding the cactus she gave him. If this is after whatever happened, I guess it is safe to say that Ji Hoon did not come back to this place. Did he leave? She thinks to herself  "I saw a monster. A face with no expression as my face is being taped. That monster. And, when you tore off the tape from my face, your sad expression. Are you really, turning into a monster?"

So what happened exactly? Since Minho saw Ji Hoon, means he and Do Sik made it to the warehouse as Ye Ri is being attacked. This chillingly echos the scene in episode 1, where Ji Hoon pitched into and attacked Min Ho to simulate the crime. He did tape up Minho's face, albeit not fatally. But the one who taped Ye ri taped everything and left her to die. From what Ye Ri said, she saw the face of a monster, and the one who tore off the tape on her face.I am guessing its two people, not Ji Hoon having a split personality and tried to kill her. I also don't see how Ji Hoon simulating the attack will solve or prove anything. Unless he plans to tape her wrongly and thus drawing out an indignant F going "NO! It's NOT taped this way! Its like THIS...." 

It is more likely that since he knew from the video clip that F is/was a cop who was the perpetrator, and he decided to use Ye Ri as bait to lure F out. Like what he tried to do with the only survivor in the past, except this time, he did not have any backup except the two he trusted, because he just wants to kill F. Would he go to jail for killing a serial killer? I read that there will be a Season 2 and a movie ( YAY) . I hardly think they will waste JSW by putting him behind bars as a consultant eh? They'd better not! * waves roll of tape* 

The very act of using his own team member, one who trusted him enough to defy orders, possibly crushing on him, as bait is inhumane in itself. I think that is what she meant when asking if Ji Hoon is turning into a monster?

Joo Sang Wook didn't help matters because he tweeted that he missed the last episode due to filming Feast of Gods, and he himself doesn't know how it ends or what it means!? I read this somewhere, but since I can't read korean I leave it to you to find out.

Meantime, I will be waiting impatiently for kaedejun over at dramabeans to give an interpretation in the lovely recaps. I will be waiting! Visit Kaedejun's website here for more drama recommendations! =) 

Tortured souls apparently make for great TV.
Fortunately watching tortured souls heal also makes for great TV.


Awesome song for TEN OST by Mad Soul Child. 
Jinsil possesses this amazing voice which lends to the haunting tune for this show.





No comments:

Post a Comment